Hello, world. Population 6.4
I promise K and I are not full of lies. We WILL go on some adventures… at some point. Our first mini get-away to PA was harshly rejected by Hurricane Sandy, which left most of New Jersey and much of New York in a black hole. Darkness, gas station crimes, and complete boredom. I spent my days eating, doing puzzles and over eating. While K very actively conserved the batteries on his phone, laptop, ipad, and e-reader: sheesh! Both thankful and a little stir crazy from the unexpected week “off” from work, everything seems to be slowly getting back into it’s natural rhythm. (Even the NJTransit… finally.)
Since our outdoor adventures aren’t for a few months, I’ll instead talk about one big indoor adventure that’s coming up: Thanksgiving! I won’t go into too much detail, no one wants to read another turkey recipe – especially not me, so a few highlights/menu items so far!
- Special ordered turkey from Raleigh’s Poultry Farm. I have named this 14-16lb poor sacrifice “Harry” … not sure why.
- Our weekend grocery run took us to: Fairway Market, Target, Trader Joe’s, The Container Store, Hanyang Market, Paris Baguette and our local wine & liquor store. What a Sunday! Lots of cars on the road, even more carts in the aisles, and a tired K trying to account for all the ingredients in all the recipes for all the foods to prepare. I, M, quietly snuck away at every opportunity for free samples.
- We have a big feast ahead of us, including a pre-ordered, delivered by courier service Pecan Pie from Zabars at his request. Something not included: my denied request for Martinelli’s Apple Juice.
- M is banned from making corn freeters, macaroni and cheese using shells, boxed stuffing, boxed mashed potatoes and pouring ketchup everywhere. This is going to be rough.
- K is banned from buying fancy unnecessaries, ie: thermometers, tongs, potato mashers, etc, also banned from hogging oven time, and raising voice at M.
I am so excited for family fun with sisters and brothers and parents and beer. I’m sure the kitchen will get heated as K is very particular, about method, quality, quantity, temperature, etc etc. and I am more of a… “I think it’s ready.. probably” kind of a lady. But it should be a deliciously memorable day for everyone.
Will follow up soon with pictures.